Welcome to the Jungle

>> Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mr. Goat meet Mr. Ethan.
Mr. Goat meet Ms. Madi.
Poseidon, release the Kraken.
Yackity yack, these pelicans be talkin' back.
"Where'd that dang thing go anyway?"


Sunday brought even more warmth and sunshine to our neck of the woods. Can it be that spring is really here? As I type this at 5:45 p.m. it's 66F, 24% humidity and a slight southwest breeze at 6 mph – bloody hell man, it's about time! My friend Dave told me yesterday that the Tetons received over 600" of snow this winter, the second highest on record. Pretty neat but lets get on with summer, eh?

The west side TeNgaios headed to the zoo today. Just about all the animals were out and about today: the big cats were doing their usual nothingness (what's up with felines and laziness anyway?), the pelicans were pretty feisty today snapping at food and each other, and the penguins were actually swimming and moving around. It seems like every time we go in the summer it's hot and the poor penguins are hiding somewhere trying to cool off, so it was a pleasure to see them out.

Madeline found the goats entertaining. She wasn't timid at all about petting them and letting them get close to her. She also enjoyed most of the various birds there, especially the cranes.

Ethan was stoked mainly on the river otters, penguins, pelicans and goats. One thing I've noticed about he and Madi is they both seem to be mindful of animals and show them kindness – I just wish they'd practice this kindness with mom and dad more often!

I'm getting anxious about my big trip to New Zealand in 9 days. I'll be gone for 3 weeks to the Land of the Long White Cloud, eating mutton and bonding with the natives, (which is better than eating the natives and bonding with the sheep I guess). I'm hoping to reconnect with relatives and learn more about my Maori culture, while having as much fun as possible of course. Unfortunately Britt and the kids are not coming. But hey, we're going to Hawaii next spring so that's something we can all look forward to. I just feel guilty about ditching the family to go to New Zealand but it's truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go with my folks. My dad was born and raised there until he left for Hawaii to go to college. All my life I've heard stories about New Zealand so it will be a bit like closure to finally put a visual to the stories I've heard and to see where my dad and grandparents lived. Kia ora.

1 comments:

Curtis Family April 21, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

If you haven't already left have a good time in New Zealand. Take Care and see you sometime down the road. Jeremy