Rock, and wee bit of Rant

>> Sunday, August 15, 2010



Ethan and I headed out today to go climb. He hasn't shown much interest in it since, well, probably last Sept. when we were in Maple Canyon, UT. I ask him every so often if he wants to go and he'll think about it, then sheepishly shake his head and say "No". "O.K.", I'll reply, "let's go swim/ride bikes/hike/etc." instead" and he's good to go. So today was kind of a pleasant surprise when HE suggested we go climb.

Which made me think of one of the things that irks me in the world of parentdom: Parents who don't let their kids be kids. I'm not saying that it's o.k. to let them eat pizza, drink Pepsi and play video games all the time. No. It's when parents force certain activities on their poor kids – mainly so when it becomes clear that the kid just isn't into it. And I'm not only talking about climbing. But that's one thing I told myself when we had Ethan and Madeline: I wasn't going to force the outdoor lifestyle, especially climbing, on them. Britt and I expose them to the outdoors regularly and so far they like most of it. Climbing, however, is a little different and it is certainly not for everyone.

Anyhow, today I wanted to take Ethan to Ririe Reservoir for something new. However, upon arrival we found out that a $5 fee is required to enter the recreation area. If you've ever been to Ririe Resv. you know that paying anything more than the gas to get there is not cool. All the routes are toprope only, the cliff is only about 25'-30' tall and the hardest thing there is 5.10. Ethan isn't climbing 5.10 (yet) but there was no way in hell I was paying to go there. I'll save that for a fine pint of microbrew.

I'm also thinking that next time I may take him to what could be a new spot for easy–moderate climbs in the foothills of I.F.

0 comments: