The Big 4-0

>> Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mark Holbrook tearing it up

Scott "Turbo" Stevens doing the avalanche test pit honors.
(Conditions were VERY favorable)

Fresh off the sled tow, skinning to the ridge on the right of frame.

Palisades Reservoir

Mark salivating before the initial drop-in.



My friends Scott and Mark took me to Sheep Cr. yesterday for my first time for some excellent backcountry skiing. I have recently converted to AT skiing and am loving it. I got rid of my splitboard last week and don't really miss it. Not to say that I no longer like snowboarding, it's just that everything is much easier on AT gear, thus more enjoyable.

Mark towed us in on his snowmachine, which eliminated about 4 miles of flat skinning. The weather was pretty damn nice, as the clouds would periodically lift, allowing for stunning views Palisades Resv. and of the surrounding peaks and terrain. The clouds kept the temps just right for climbing too. After about 2,200' of skinning uphill, it was time to savor the sweet rewards. Twice. The untracked thigh deep powder was that nice.

The ski out on the trail in the canyon bottom is pretty wild just on it's own…a helmet (for someone of my abilities) is not a bad idea. By the time we got back to the truck my quads were dead as well as the rest of my sickly body (re: flu!).

Last and not least: To the little critter that stole my lunch and 2 Nalgene bottles from beneath Mark's truck: I sure hope the grub goes a long way to keep you and yours well fed for a few weeks. I want my bottles back, though.

Oh, and it was my 40th birthday too.

0 comments: