The Return of Thunder...Dr. Benson, that is

>> Monday, September 6, 2010

Mike Benson warms up on the Big Dam Boulder, Teton Dam.

Dr. Benson showing the kids how it's done.

Today was a pretty cool day for me. I was able to share it bouldering with some good friends who I don't actually get to climb with all that much. Yeah, we correspond via email, text and what-not on a weekly basis and they are always considerate in inviting me to join them. Alas though, conflicting schedules and, well, just life, seem to get in the way. So it was a real treat to spend even just a couple of precious hours with these folks. But even more so was the treat of having my good friend Mike come out today.

Mike and I first started in climbing together back 2001. He was the strong, experienced 5.12 climber and I was the weenie-inexperienced-barely-breaking-into-5.11a climber (not much has changed I guess, lol!) Most of what I've learned about movement, technique, training, and such, I owe to Mike.

Even I as got stronger and gained some technique, Mike was always the one who could sort out cruxes on routes quickly and work redpoints efficiently. Even when he'd take extended breaks from climbing, it never ceased to amaze me how much knowledge, mainly in the form of good techinque, he'd retain and be able to get back to form quickly. And I could totally see that today.

Mike hasn't been climbing much for the past 2-3 years. Family and other interests in life have kept him happy and busy. But what little we did today I could see all that knowledge coming out as he climbed. You can learn a lot from just watching someone with good technique – even if they aren't currently at their top climbing potential. Pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

As life progresses, we all eventually take up new and different interests. I've known a number of people that have drifted away from climbing to pursue other passions. I figure as long as you're passionate about whatever it is you do, then keep doing it. Never mind what the masses think.

But it would be awesome to see Mike back out there crushing it!

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."