Harkness Canyon Exploration

>> Friday, October 8, 2010





Yesterday Ethan had the day off from school and wanted an "adventure". I've been wanting to check out Harkness Canyon for climbing possibilities and had heard of a small amount of activity up there. So the "adventure" was on.

I've never been to the canyon before and was unclear on how to approach the cliffs up high. You can't drive to the end of the road due to private property. It is really unfortunate because these cliffs are way up there, at about 7,200' and the road is at 6,200' which would already make for quite the vertical haul if you were able to drive to the end of the road. But for now, (as far I as I could tell,) you have to hike the Boundary Trail which adds considerable more time as it meanders on switchbacks to accommodate mechanized vehicles (4 wheelers, dirt bikes). Even being unfamiliar to the area, I'd imagine that the land owner isn't going to change their mind just for climbers.

Nonetheless, I was blown away at the size, angles and, as far as I could tell, quality of limestone. I'm getting pretty good at being able to eye from afar what is decent limestone and what isn't in eastern Idaho and from what I could see, Harkness could deliver some seriousness…maybe too much!



Ethan did great on the hike in and out. He did take a mean header though as we were booking it out of there to get off the exposed ridge when the storm cell I had been keeping my eye on decided to switch directions and come straight at us with much fury. This morning his knee is banged up and swollen but he's a trooper and still wants to get back out there.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by writing about Harkness but maybe there's a way to work with the land owner to allow a climber's trail that discretely winds it way through their property while staying out of view. The amount of good moderate-to-hard climbing possibilities there seem to warrant looking into it at least. The only thing is though is you still have to deal with the 1,000' uphill approach. Time to buy a lama.

3 comments:

Marc Hanselman October 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Or a dirt bike!
Looks pretty good Matt. Would love to see some close ups! Sounds like there is some climbing there already? How far from your home?
Hopefully we can put together a day of exploration next week... I'm running out of hardware though!

The Tengaios October 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Did you make it out to Cedar Cr. this past week to do more bolting?

Let me know when you are going to order more hardware 'cuz I'd like to get those rap ring anchors.

I'm going back out to the Harkness area this coming week because I think there is another canyon to explore.

Let me know what your plans are this week. Do you have any other areas in mind?

Marc Hanselman October 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

Yea, made two trips to CC this past week. Put up a few more moderate/easy routes. I can order the ring anchors anytime. I just ordered some more bolts and hangers are getting pretty think too.

Let's try and hook up this week. I'm pretty psyched to throw a rope down the crag that I checked out in the spring! Maybe Tuesday? Let's talk...