Diary of a Slacker: Week in Review

>> Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Blackfoot River seen from Rapid Wall.

Ethan and thunderstorm. Harkness Canyon.

Chip off the Old Block, .12a, Massacre Rocks.
Goes up the detached flake and onto the rad scoop.

Madeline and one of her many, many,
many furry friends.

Oodles of chossy limestone high above Wolverine Canyon.
Thwarted once again.

I took this past week off of work to enjoy the Indian Summer we've been enjoying. No big plans other than to finish up some projects at home, spend time with the kids and climb. I could get use to this life very easily.

On the family side, nothing really noteworthy other I got to spend more time with the chitlins than I usually do – kind of like pulling Mr. Mom shifts. Acting like I'm one of those husbands that have a wife who works and pulls in all the dough so I don't have to, lol!

On the climbing side, hitting Massacre a couple of times and ticking some great routes. Switchblade at the Gang Fight Wall and Chip off the Old Block and Holey Moley at the Far Side are must-do's! Plus, I got to fully equip a new line at South Park that I've had my eye on for a while, probably clocks in around .12c/d. Still needs to be cleaned a bit though. I also went scouting one day in Wolverine Canyon but got thwarted. Went out and visited Rapid Wall too for the hell of it to see if anything looked inspiring. It's a basalt wall Mike and I bolted back in about '03 or so that's short and nothing to brag about. But, it's climbing and the routes are moderate. I don't know if it was the fine beer I had just enjoyed before descending to the base of the wall or the residual effects of disappointment from the hike I just took in Wolverine but I came away from Rapid Wall with some ideas for new routes. Gear routes may be possible too.

An interesting thing happened in our neighborhood one day this week: Ethan's school had a "Walk to School Day". He and I were cruising it via foot power when one of his friends rode up to us and informed us that there was a mountain lion sighting about an hour ago only blocks from our house. We had Izzy dog with us and I figured the cat would go after her before trying anything on us (sorry Izzy). Kind of funny seeing a couple of blokes walking the neighborhood with their hunting dogs, hopefully packing heat under those coats too.

0 comments: